Whether it’s a strain from sleeping in a funny position or a more serious accident, a neck injury can greatly impact your quality of life. That’s why it’s crucial to seek professional neck injury treatment as soon as possible. Surgical treatment for a neck injury can offer hope for a more comfortable and active lifestyle. Consult with a trusted and experienced surgeon at Gottlieb Spine to determine what type of neck injury treatment is right for you.
What Causes a Neck Injury?
A neck injury can occur due to a variety of reasons, and it’s essential to understand the causes before taking action.
TRAUMA AND ACCIDENTS
Sudden impact or trauma, like a car accident or fall, is a frequent case of neck injuries
Prolonged periods of poor posture, especially when using electronic devices like smartphones or working at a computer without proper ergonomics, can strain the neck muscles and lead to chronic pain or discomfort. This is sometimes referred to as “tech neck.”
This is a common injury often resulting from rear-end car collisions. The rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck causes strain on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of a Neck Injury?
Some signs and symptoms of a neck injury may not appear immediately after the injury, and could develop over time. If you’re unsure whether you have a neck injury, it’s best to consult a doctor like Dr. Gottlieb to get an accurate diagnosis. Remember, early intervention and treatment can help prevent a minor problem from turning into a major one.
- Neck pain
- Difficulty with balance
- Tingling or numbness in your arms and hands
- Stiffness or limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping and concentrating on things
- Muscle spasms
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in your ears
How Are Neck Injuries Treated?
Depending on the nature and severity of your injury, your treatment plan may involve non-surgical options like physical therapy, medications, and chiropractic adjustments. However, if your neck injury involves damage to your spine, conservative treatment may not provide long-term pain relief. In these cases, Dr. Gottlieb may recommend cervical spine surgery to address the injury. Common spine procedures for neck injury treatment include:
- Disc replacement or discectomy if a herniated, slipped, or bulging disc is the cause of the injury
- Spinal fusion in cases of instability or degenerative conditions
- Laminectomy to remove part of all of the lamina. This helps to ease pressure on the spinal cord or the nerve roots that may be caused by the neck injury.
- Foraminotomy to remove any causes of neck compression that may have stemmed from the injury itself.
- Fracture repair if the neck injury involves a fracture
Top Quality Care at Gottlieb Spine
For the best outcome of spine surgery, contact the team at Gottlieb Spine. Our skilled orthopedic spine doctors are here to provide top quality care. Schedule a consultation today.SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION